Wednesday, July 20, 2016

Adjusting to Retirement with Thunder

I discovered on my first day of not going to work at 8:00, that Thunder takes a nap at 8:00.  He looked at me and then went right up on the chair under the dining room table.  I waited a while, and he didn't come out.  So I took Maggie for a long walk, worked in the garden and came back a few hours later.  He hadn't moved and didn't greet me.  It was unlike him not to greet me.

An hour or so later, he came out and was all affection.

The next morning I stayed home, I was a little too slow with the routine.  After breakfast, I brush Maggie's teeth, let her outside and then brush Thunder's teeth while the dog is out of the way.  It was right about 8:00.  As I went to get him, I saw him heading under the dining room table.  I was too late.  He was going to nap.  I didn't get his teeth brushed until after lunch.

I am learning to do my chores and take care of Maggie's walk in the mornings if I am home.  Sometimes, he will come out for a bite to eat, and on sunny morning's he may come out to lay in the morning sun in the dining room.  It arrives around 10:00.  This still counts as nap time.  I can admire him, but I can't disturb him.

We are learning new routines.  I am just glad I can spend so much time with him.

No comments:

Post a Comment